SOURCING BRIEFING SEMINARS
As part of the Fashion SVP Sourcing Academy’s commitment to knowledge-sharing and learning, we once again present our Sourcing Briefing seminar programme. This programme is full of industry experts, all happy to share their knowledge, experience and expertise with you, our visitors.
These seminars have been designed for all brand and retail professionals who want to know more about the current critical issues influencing decisions in sourcing, production, brand and product development, design, marketing and social media.
Tuesday 15th January
12.00 pm Denim History, Key Historical brands and their input in denim / workwear today.
- New Denim Renaissance, cotton, yarn & denim manufacturing processes
- Denim terminologies, strengths of using original shuttle looms, different weaves, different thicknesses and their strengths RHT, LHT etc.
- Selvage denims vs non Selvage and different types of washing treatments / finishes.
- Anatomy of a 5 pocket Jeans.
- Thread sizes and colours, metal sundries colours – in relating to denim shade.
Mohsin Sajid, Creative Director, Endrime
2.00 pm How to improve lead times and efficiency in supplier relationships
- How to improve lead times and get the right product
- The changing relationships with suppliers
- The challenge to recognise and react to new opportunities
- Understanding your target market
Jo Byrne, Head of Buying, New Look
3. 45 pm Sustainability in Denim – ‘from Devil to Angel?
- Has the environmental impact of the denim industry been overstated?
- Emerging water-free technologies and other developments
- Laser, plasma, ozone and sand-blasting – the way forward?
A panel discussion moderated by Charlie Bradley Ross, Director of Offset Warehouse & The Sustainable Fashion Collective, The Members’ Club, Offset Warehouse with Emily Evans, Founding Director and Head Designer, Zola Amour and other industry experts
Wednesday 16th January
11.00 am Sustainability; Can we really balance People, Planet and Profit?
- Collaborating towards a common objective for a better fashion industry
- Finding and working with suppliers in an ethical way
- Practical steps for responsible buying
A panel session moderated by Lauretta Roberts, MD and Editor-in-Chief, The Industry, panellists include Tamsin Lejeune, CEO, CO, Jenny Holloway, CEO, Fashion Capital and Fashion Enter, Safia Minney, MBE and Sally Townsend, Head of Advocacy and Alliances, Outland Denim
1.00 pm How the re-emergence of British denim and the craft movement is good for the UK denim community and good for the wider economy
- The green shoots of a recovering denim industry in the UK
- How craft mills, makers and brands are working together
- What are the growth limits for UK denim production?
A panel session moderated by Mohsin Sajid, Creative Director, Endrime, with Chris Hewitt, CEO Hewitt Heritage Fabrics and Jessica Gebhart, Founder & Creative Director, I AND ME
3.00 pm The Role of the Fashion Buyer – dramatic changes for demanding times
- The Buyer as Entrepreneur – driving the business forward through new ways to attract the customer
- Resilience is key – juggling projects and critical paths
- Setting the pace – working harder and faster
Julia Redman, Head of Buying, M&Co